We like pancakes and bacon on the weekend, but it's often a fatty and unhealthy breakfast. So, I've been trying to come up with a healthier version. It's still quite light, despite being full of grains and fiber. They're also very filling - two will usually be enough per person.
- 3 eggs
- 2½ cups white flour
- ½ cup wheat bran
- ½ cup oats
- ½ cup flaxseed meal
- 2½ cups milk
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 3 Tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon (if desired)
- Beat eggs with hand beater in large bowl until fluffy. This takes 3-4 minutes.
- Beat in remaining ingredients just until smooth
- Let batter sit for about 5 minutes to let the grains absorb the liquid. If it's still too liquid, add water 1-2 Tbsp at a time until it's right.
- Fry pancakes on hot griddle - about 4 minutes on each side.
- Serve with butter, syrup and/or jam.
To reheat frozen pancakes: Arrange on microwave-safe plate, and cover. Microwave on high about one minute per pancake, rotating at about 30 seconds. Times will vary based on your microwave oven.